Title: Madagascar Private Health Facility Mapping
Principal Investigators: Katie Tripp, Virginie Combet, Marianne El-Khoury; Agence Capsule-Madagascar
Timeline: June 2019-June 2020
The private health sector plays an important role in the provision of care in Madagascar, but the true scope and distribution of private health facilities remain unknown. In 2019, the Ministry of Health asked USAID and SHOPS Plus to conduct a mapping of all private health facilities in Madagascar. The SHOPS Plus project will conduct the mapping exercise in close cooperation and with the support of the focal points of the ministry, the Department of Studies, Planning and Information System, professional orders and associations, and the health districts.
The main objective is to create a database of all private health sector facilities in Madagascar to provide key country stakeholders with an overview of the size, scope, geography, and characteristics of private health facilities. The data would also be used to inform programs to strengthen the private health sector in Madagascar.
Specific research questions:
- What is the geographic location (including GPS coordinates) and distribution of private health facilities? Where are they concentrated?
- What are their characteristics? (facility type, years of operation, affiliation, infrastructure, digital capacity, etc.)
- How many workers (medical and non-medical) are employed in each facility?
- What is the type and volume of services provided at private facilities?
- What types of collaboration exist between the private facilities and the public sector?
- What are the major perceived barriers to improving the performance of the health facility?
The study targets all private health sector facilities in Madagascar,, including hospitals, clinics, centers, diagnostic and laboratory facilities, and non-governmental organizations. Pharmacies and drug stores will be excluded from this mapping. SHOPS Plus and a local research partner, Agence Capsule, will compile a comprehensive list of private health facilities, conduct field work to validate the list, and use snowball sampling to expand it. Surveyors will administer face-to-face interviews with facility managers. SHOPS Plus will analyze the data collected and prepare a final report with GIS maps of facilities.
Last updated: February 2020
Learn more about our work in Madagascar.