SHOPS Plus conducts programmatically relevant research and evaluation to inform country activities, demonstrate impact, and contribute to the generation and use of global evidence in priority health areas, including family planning and reproductive health, HIV, child health, and tuberculosis.
SHOPS Plus global research studies examine family planning, HIV, and child health outcomes across different countries. These studies focus on gaps in existing evidence and allow for the identification of differentials between countries and exploration of trends over time. Results contribute to the global knowledge base on private sector health.
Private facility censuses collect a broad range of information on all private facilities in a country, such as GPS coordinates, services offered, and facility infrastructure. Results provide a comprehensive and an up-to-date picture of the size, scope, and composition of the private health sector and can be used by a variety of stakeholders to identify gaps in services, inform the development and implementation of private health sector programs, and facilitate public-private collaboration.
Formative research employs quantitative and qualitative methods to inform current and future SHOPS Plus activities. Studies include product availability surveys, campaign reach and recall surveys, mystery client surveys, and Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices studies to understand the behaviors, intentions, and motivations of private sector actors or clients. Results feed directly into activity design, decision-making, and/or adaptive management.
SHOPS Plus impact evaluations use rigorous study designs to determine whether activities or pilot interventions have had an impact on a variety of outcomes. Process evaluations use mixed methods to determine whether an activity was implemented as intended and examine how an activity’s design, execution and context may influence certain outcomes. Results provide information about how to alter and improve implementation in future iterations.
See the full list of recent and ongoing SHOPS Plus studies below:
- Afghan Social Marketing Organization Campaign Effectiveness Surveys
- Afghanistan Social Marketing Organization Health Product Distribution Coverage Monitoring Survey
- Evaluation of Health Promotion Activities in Beauty Parlors in Kabul
- Health Product Distribution Coverage Monitoring Survey in Rural Areas of Nepal
- Nepal D’Zire Condom Reach and Recall Survey
- Nepal Hot Spot Mapping
- Nepal Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practices Survey
- Senegal Private Health Sector Mapping
- Sources for Sick Child Care in 24 USAID Maternal and Child Survival Priority Countries
- Uganda Youth Voucher Evaluation