Sources of Family Planning Materials
Understanding where women acquire their family planning methods is important to increase access to modern contraception and catalyze efforts to meet family planning goals. The following briefs present a secondary analysis of Demographic and Health Survey data from USAID population and reproductive health priority countries to examine where modern contraceptive users obtain their method and to examine the contribution of the private sector to family planning.
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Webinar: Two tools for a total market approach in family planning (recording)
- Webinar: Harnessing the total market for contraception - Why it matters where women go (recording)
SHOPS Plus also developed two interactive data visualization tools that help family planning program managers and policy makers gain a deeper understanding so that they can create more sustainable family planning markets.
- Private Sector Counts shows the past and current situation across multiple countries. The tool uses data from the most recent Demographic and Health Survey data in 37 low- and middle-income countries.
- Family Planning Market Analyzer shows projections of future scenarios for individual countries. This tool combines data from Demographic and Health Surveys and Family Planning 2020’s projections of modern contraceptive prevalence.